The official date for Araw ng Dabaw might be moved from March 16 to March 1 based on historical context, a city councilor said.
“Historically, I want it to be corrected because March 1 was indicated when I took up documents coming from the City Council in 1960 when Mayor (Elias) Lopez was still the city mayor,” Councilor Melchor Quitain Jr. said on Tuesday.
He also added that March 1 is what was written at the landmark that can be found in City Hall.
Quitain is hopeful that the proposed bill to change the Araw ng Dabaw date will be passed this year now that it is already in the Senate for final deliberation.
“Eventually, if this passes the Senate, it will become a law once signed by President Duterte and hopefully it will be pushed through this year,” Quitain said.
Quitain clarified that this move to change the date of Araw ng Dabaw will not affect the celebration and series of events prepared by the city government.
The City Tourism and Operation Office (CTOO) recently bared activities for celebration.
The Mutya ng Dabaw, Ginoo ng Dabaw, and Reyna Dabawenya are among the major events starting next month.
The other events this year are the Bida Dabawenyo (singing contest), Hudyaka sa Araw ng Dabaw (drum and bugle contest), and Sayaw Pinoy (Philippine folk dance contest).
- FINED, TOO | SEC revokes entity for fraud
- Rough Cuts | Time to throw his weight around
- EGALITARIAN | People’s welfare as an agenda
- Electronic producer CHROMANCE teams up with K-Pop group MOMOLAND for the new version of “Wrap Me In Plastic”
- Vegas Fuels reopens, grants Bayanihan Prices
- Recovery of tourism industry needs push, says executive
- GJAPS Pirates are 2019 Uraya Fortys hoop champs
- Wanderlust | Gulangyu: An island of history
- DLSU gets 2nd win in 34th Kadayawan hoop
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Too much katol