THE PUBLIC Employment Services Office (PESO) announced on Thursday that an ordinance establishing guidelines for employment opportunities covering senior citizens is in the pipeline.
PESO manager Lilibeth Pantinople said the office is awaiting the opinion of the City Legal Office before the ordinance will be introduced to the city council.
“We have two company partners that are willing to employ senior citizens who are still able to work despite their age,” Pantinople said during the Ispeak Media Forum on Thursday.
She mentioned fast-food giants Jollibee and Mcdonalds as two potential employers willing to take in the qualified senior citizens.
Diosdado Angelo Mahipus Jr. proposed the measure on Oct. 10, 2023, through a privilege speech in the City Council. It underwent a series of meetings in the third quarter of 2024 to align the proposed law with the needs of the sector and partner companies.
The ordinance will specify the qualifications of eligibility, including the age requirement, which is initially considered 60-70 years old, provided they are still physically fit to work.
Mahipus previously said the workload for the elderly will not be heavy as it only includes taking table orders, serving food and beverages, and guest relations.
Along with the creation of policy, Mahipus said they are considering appropriate incentives to private sector partners to encourage them to include the elderly as part of their workforce.
He said the advocacy will hopefully empower senior citizens to contribute to the city’s economy and generate income for themselves.