Meditation: Are you surprised to see the relatives of Zechariah and Elizabeth disagreeing over what to name their newborn child? Don’t we do the same thing? This child, however has been named from above! And Elizabeth is firm in her faith and determined to see that God be glorified through this child. The name John means “the Lord is gracious.” In the birth of John the Baptist and in the birth of Jesus the Messiah we see the grace and favor of God breaking forth into a world broken by sin, corruption, and death – a world lost without hope.
The Old Testament prophets foretold the return of the prophet Elijah (Malachi 3:1, and 4:5) who would announce the coming of the Messiah – the Savior and Ruler of the earth. John the Baptist fulfills the role of Elijah (Matthew 11:13-14). His miraculous birth shows the mercy and favor of God in preparing his people for the coming of its Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.
When God acts to save us he graciously fills us with his Holy Spirit and makes our faith come “alive” to his promises. When we respond to his word with trust the Lord fills us with the joy of the Holy Spirit and renews our hope and gratitude for the mercy and gift of new life and salvation he gives us through Jesus Christ. Do you make your life an offering of thanksgiving to God, along with your family and all that you have and hope to accomplish? God wants to fill us with the joy of his saving presence all the days of our lives, from birth through death. Renew the offering of your life to God and give him thanks for his mercy and favor towards you.
“Lord Jesus, you are gracious and forgiving towards us. Renew in me the gift of faith that I may believe your promises and obey your word.”( (c) 2019 Servants of the Word, source: www.dailyscripture.net, author Don Schwager)
- Executive urges investors: Explore franchising industry
- Honoring my Mother | The parable of the fence
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Jinjiang senior advisor visit strengthens ties with Davao
- Reflections |Significance of Being Datu Bago Awardee
- NPA leader surrenders, brings nine rifles, ammo
- Editorial | Justice and promises
- BotiCARD initiates CARD e-Pharmacist to clients
- Man yields P30-K worth of shabu in Panabo operation
- ALPSIDE DOWNED | Nakalista