PERSONS Deprived of Liberty (PDLs) at the Davao City Jail male dormitory cast their votes for the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Election on Monday.
These PDLs were carefully assisted by the city jail male dormitory personnel to ensure their votes were not influenced.
In an interview on Monday, Jail Inspector Edo Lobenia, the spokesperson of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) XI, said there are 160 PDLs registered voters on their list but they have yet to account how many who had cast their votes.
Also, based on their record, there are 111 registered PDL voters in Davao City female dormitory and 96 in the Annex building.
“Yung tatlong jails dito lang sa Davao City Jail main. Ang ibang jails sa Davao Region meron ata mangilan-ngilan po offsite nag vote,” he added.
According to the BJMP, the registered PDL voters whose cases are still pending and have not been resolved by the courts are allowed under the law to vote during elections.
The PDLs allowed to vote include those “who are formally charged and awaiting trial, as well as individuals serving prison sentences of less than a year.’’
To ensure an orderly election process among the PDLs, Lobenia said the BJMP XI closely worked with the Regional Trial Court, Court Administrator, Public Attorney’s Office (PAO), and the Commission on Elections (Comelec).
On Oct. 3, the BJMP, Comelec, and PAO signed a memorandum of agreement to ensure the peaceful and orderly voting process for PDLs. Under the pact, the Comelec would provide essential support, guidance, and resources to facilitate PDL voting and maintain the integrity of the electoral process.
- Food delivery service donates food to frontliners
- WANDERLUST | DOT Xl bares accomplishments for 2021
- Mobile loans do much to ease unbanked Filipinos’ financial burden
- CTTMO: Some car owners refuse to pay parking fee
- Discover new things with your 1st e-wallet: GCash Jr.
- Urban Ape | 1 + 1 = 11
- Relieved and probed
- EastMinCom chief says COVID-19 won’t curtail operations vs. Reds
- Scene City | Visiting El Don Resort in Governor Generoso
- ROUGH CUTS | Where are ‘In aid of legislation’ laws?