By Almah C. Bernardino-Bautista
IT’S BEGINNING to look a lot like Christmas, says one of our favorite songs for the season! Even the Municipality of Malalag has joined in welcoming the year’s most festive season. The municipality’s mayor, the Hon. Peter Paul T. Valentin, recently led the ceremonies in lighting their Christmas star.
The sizeable Christmas light stands in front of their beautiful municipal hall which also features a well-manicure square where the Malalaguenos could sit and feel the crisp, December air. The good Mayor emphasized that the lighting of the Christmas star symbolizes hope and unity for all the residents of Malalag.
The auspicious ceremony also coincided with the presentation of the Christmas trees from the 15 barangays of Malalag. Each tree was painstakingly conceptualized, designed, and made by the constituents of each barangay led by their Barangay Captains. This is a competition among the barangays for the most beautiful yet relevant Christmas tree.
Each tree must be made of local or indigenous materials. Commercially-made trees and decorations are not allowed. Battery-operated or solar-powered lights must be used. These requirements are non-negotiable because the municipality adheres to sustainability.
The initial judging for the competition was done by a competent team led by Davao del Sur’s Provincial Tourism Officer, Kervin Joseph D. Elijay. Ms. Teresita C. Bautista and Mr. Cresaljun N. Tayawan, both instructors from the Davao del Sur School of Fisheries joined him. The winners will be announced during the LGUs Christmas Part after the online votes have been added to the scores from the judges.
To add to the festive mood, food stalls shall be added to the municipal hall compound. Christmas celebrations need not be expensive as long as family and friends gather together and enjoy each other’s company.
- Toril inferno | Fire razes 50 houses in Crossing Bayabas
- Cagayan de Oro, Zamboanga start vaccinating senior citizens
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Scene City | Hannah Marie Denila’s debut
- “You Have the Power” Roadshow slated this Friday at SM Lanang
- DCWD not affected by drought
- City surpasses last year’s business renewal numbers
- Man with P600,000 in shabu nabbed
- ‘She was my friend’: Army commander denies involvement in model’s murder
- TESTAMENT TO GRIT | Former athletes marvel at Hidilyn Diaz’s sacrifices to grab Olympic gold