Porridge and water stations will be put up during the Parada Dabawenyo, one of the culminating events of the 82nd Araw ng Dabaw, this Saturday.
City tourism officer Generose Tecson said during the iSpeak forum that the free lugaw and water, which will be distributed starting at 4 a.m., are intended for the participants of the civic parade. Medical teams of the Central 911 are also on standby.
She said they are expecting a large number of visitors who will celebrate with Davaoenos.
“Everybody will enjoy what the city has prepared for everybody,” Tecson said.
Tecson also reminded the public to refrain from bringing infants, backpacks, and bulky luggage that may hamper their enjoyment during the celebrations. She also urged them to bring hats, umbrellas and refrain from wearing uniforms of law enforcers to avoid confusion.
Full temporary road closure from Roxas Avenue to San Pedro Street will begin at 3 a.m. until 1 p.m. for the activity.
Meanwhile, 447 contingents have confirmed to participate in Parada Dabawenyo, 100 higher than last year’s 347 participants, said parade in-charge and City Treasurer’s Office head, Erwin Alparaque.
According to Alparaque, many more groups, especially motorists, were turned down because they could not submit their applications during the cut-off last March 8.
Members of each participating groups must not exceed 50, “including walking contingents and those with vehicles.”
With the number of contingents, Alparaque explained that the event should start exactly at 6 a.m. to end at 12 noon.
City Sports and Development Division chief Mikey Aportadera also assured that they are all set for the Ironman 70.3 Triathlon race which will be held on March 24, Sunday.
“We already had numerous coordination meetings with the neighboring LGUs and agencies involved in this event.”
With a total of 2,160 participants from 38 participating countries, the event will bring in professional triathletes from different countries, as well as local celebrities such as Piolo Pascual, Kim Atienza, Matteo Guidicelli, Zoren Legaspi, and Bubbles Paraiso.
Aportadera said they already activated all the neighboring LGU hospitals and medical teams along the route of the Ironman. He added that they already assigned coast guards and professional divers to monitor the swimmers.
“Every one to two meters, we have lifeguards in the surface. We have 74 scuba divers watching the participants from the top to end.”
He assured that everybody is working to guarantee the safety of the participants.
By Regina Mae Ronquillo and Niño Nicole P. Villareal/UM Intern
- Man sued for P3-M shabu
- Leni hit for comment on COVID-19 surge
- Dayanghirang: City to have a new congressional district
- Timesman | How I welcomed 2020
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- 3rd place finishes for RPVGCC squads in 73rd PAL Interclub
- Local priest dies of COVID-19 in Tagum
- MY TURN | Manila Bay Savior – Part 2
- Military flights to continue amid region air travel ban
- LGUs urged: Establish Halal councils