An alleged deputy secretary of the New People’s Army was killed in a joint military and police operation in Barangay Canocotan, Tagum City around 4 a.m. on Monday.
1Lt. Jhocell Asis, the civil-military operations officer of the 71st Infantry Battalion, said they received a tip from a concerned citizen regarding the presence of armed men under Jay Mendoza or alias Kumander Jay Pogs of Guerrilla Front 2.
Lt. Col. Esteveyn E Ducusin, battalion commander of 71st IB, immediately ordered the troops to verify the information. They tried to serve the arrest warrant against Mendoza at the NPA’s alleged safe house. He has a standing arrest warrant for serious illegal detention.
The operation was conducted by the 71st IB, 1001st Infantry Brigade, Military Intelligence Battalion, Intelligence Service of AFP (ISAFP), PNP, and Criminal Investigation and Detection Group of Tagum City.
Reportedly, the guerrillas fired at the law enforcers who fried back. The exchange of gunfire lasted for five minutes.
An alleged communist rebel, identified as Cindy Terado alias Jill, was killed while her comrades escaped, including Mendoza. Terado was reportedly a live-in partner of Mendoza.
“I thank all the concerned citizens who keep on giving timely information. It just means that they no longer want these terrorist groups in their area,” Ducusin said.
The remains of Terado are under the custody of the PNP Tagum before they will be turned over to the relatives.
- HONORING MY MOTHER: Homesick and sick of home
- Random Thoughts | Plan “B” for Federalism
- BOOSTER DOSES | Frontliners a priority as city launches third vaccine shots to boost immunity
- LTFRB eyes new jeepney routes to city’s hinterlands
- Honoring my Mother | Street Feet
- 154 illegal trikes registered
- Hagonoy poor family adopted by PNP
- Kadayawan ‘20 execom formed
- Rough Cuts: Can we suffer indignities?
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this silence the ‘calm before the storm’?