THE TASK Force Davao tightened security, particularly at the entry points of the city, following the explosion that ripped a gymnasium at Mindanao State University in Marawi City on Sunday morning.
The grenade blasted through the Catholic faithful attending a mass, resulting in the death of four individuals and the wounding of at least 42 others.
Task Force Davao commander Colonel Darren Comia said, “So far, we don’t have any threat here in the city. No direct threats received despite the fact that we are still implementing alert level 3 security measures in our city, our borders, entry points, and the downtown area.”
He said they already started intensifying security measures to ensure the safety of people celebrating the Pasko Fiesta sa Davao, which lasts through December.
“We are prepared here in Davao City,” he said.
“The visibility patrols of our troops in Task Force Davao and random checkpoints, in coordination with the Davao City Police Office and other law enforcement agencies, continue,” he added.
Presently, Task Force Davao soldiers and the police are securing 29 churches and 11 mosques in the city.
The City Council passed Ordinance 48-2022 prohibiting the carrying of backpacks, jackets, and non-transparent water containers inside big events.
“We are continuously doing this because we know it can help in the security of the city,” he added.
The Task Force Davao commander added that more personnel are deployed for Pasko Fiesta activities with the support of the 10th Infantry Division, the augmentation of 11th RCDG troops, the 1105th Ready Reserve Battalion, and the 220nd Ready Reserve Infantry Brigade to further tighten security measures.
Moreover, he called on the public to be vigilant and cooperate with security forces.
“Ginagawa po ng inyong security forces dito sa Davao City ang aming magagawa to ensure the safety and security in the whole city, especially ngayon na may pangyayari sa labas at marami tayong events sa Pasko Fiesta (Your security forces here in Davao City are doing what we can to ensure the safety and security of the whole city, especially after the recent incident and also because we have many events for the Pasko Fiesta),”Comia said.
He also asked for the understanding of the public if the security measures will result in inconvenience.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | We smell something obnoxious here
- Señor Moments | Davao – Ca. 1950s-60s Part 3
- `DEEPLY CONCERNED’ | Environment groups quiz JICA on WTE project
- Salugpongan may sue DepEd
- Fiscal: Witnesses identify Roxas perpetrators
- CARAVAN KICKS OFF | Local organizers egging Sara to run kicks off Manila expedition
- Official: Toril, Paquibato, Marilog suffer most from drought
- No muzzling of guns on holidays; police warned
- Superal keeps LPGT ‘Merit” crown