Barangay Manada of Bansalan, Davao del Sur became one of the recipients of widely cultivated potato variety from Prince Edward Island in Canada as the Department of Agriculture (DA) XI rollouts “Sustainable Potato Program” last March 15.
Other provinces covered by the program are Benguet, Mt. Province, and Bukidnon.
Last Friday, DA Secretary Emmanuel Piñol spearheaded the turnover of 17,000 kg of potato seeds to the stakeholders in Barangay Manada provided by the Universal Robina Corporation (URC).
DA and URC have teamed up on improving competitiveness of local potato farmers through the provision of good quality seeds and technology adoption.
According to DA XI Regional Director, Ricardo Oñate Jr., the donated seeds from URC will be given to the farmer cooperatives and will serve as initial funding for the program.
Aside from the Mt. Apo Potato Farmers Association in Brgy. Managa, DA XI also identified two farmer-cooperatives in Davao del Sur who are recipients of the program, namely Highland Farmers Agri Cooperative in Brgy. Kapatagan, Digos City, and Alegre Vegetable and Arabica Growers Association in Brgy. Alegre, Bansalan.
“Farmers in these co-ops will be trained on good agricultural practices in potato farming to increase yield and improve the quality of their produce. URC will also help in linking them to the market particularly through the over 160 retail outlets across the country of its affiliate Robinsons Supermarket,” Oñate said during the turnover last Friday.
- 400 get jabs in school-based mobile vaccination vs. COVID
- Drug suspects arrested in front of Ecoland terminal
- ADAP: Punish people using words offensive to PWDs
- 5 IPs in Haran brought home
- Scene City | Davao Medical Society’s Pillars Night
- NPA regional committee in R-11 to be dismantled in next months
- City, DavOr, 5 towns under Alert Level 1
- Rough Cuts | Discretion still the better part of valor
- Be responsible for posting vax info to avoid confusion
- DA XI: Free horse to support remote farms