A PORTION of Maharlika Highway (Km. 1439+400- Km. 1439+800) in Sitio Banga, Barangay Sawangan, Mawab, Davao de Oro is temporarily closed until further notice beginning 7 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 5.
The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) XI said the damage on the road from severe flooding and landslides made the road section unsafe for vehicular traffic
DPWH XI information officer Dean Ortiz said the closure was recommended following a joint inspection by their agency, Mines and Geosciences Bureau, DDO Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (DRRMO), and Mawab- Municipal DRRMO.
“What was noted was tension cracks, active sinking, and ground movement as well as active scouring observed in the riverbanks of Hijo River,” Ortiz said, adding that two major cracks were found above the pavement.
With the prevailing weather conditions and another expected trough of LPA to hit Mindanao, Ortiz said restoration works will take up to one to two weeks before reopening the portion.
Motorists are advised to take alternative routes from Mawab to Maco: Mawab-Sawangan-New Asturias- Lapulapu -Anibongan- Dumlan- Concepcion- Lumatab- Binuangan- Maco. The route is 25.5 km. provincial road or a 40-minute drive.
However, only light vehicles, buses, and loadless to light-load 10-wheeler trucks are allowed since the road only has two lanes.
Meanwhile, winged vans and loaded 10-wheeler trucks must divert to the Sayre Highway in Bukidnon toward Davao City and other provinces.
At present, the department has deployed heavy equipment to do earthworks in the area and conduct geotechnical investigations or soil exploration to know the appropriate engineering intervention.
The official said they will look into the embankment slips brought by continuous rains that need to be restored but once fixed, they will reassess the situation and sit down with agencies concerned.
DPWH XI Photo
- PH to showcase footprint as host of global fintech festival
- FORGED BY FRIENDSHIP RECOVERY GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP
- Coastal barangays yield 21,428 sacks of garbage
- Nunot: Ang naanda’ng reaksiyon
- My Turn | Water Woes (Part 2)
- Luisita looms as underdog as PAL Senior Interclub kicks off
- Rough Cuts | An EAGA dream is off again
- Rough Cuts | Why no Mindanaoan nationally-recognized hero?
- LandBank waives fees for fund transfers below P1,000
- Army seizes NPA cache containing ammo, bomb parts