PHILVOCS officials collaborated with the Office of the Civil Defense (OCD) XI and the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office to mark the faultlines in three barangays on Monday, Nov. 20.
Philvocs science research specialist Jeffrey Perez, OCD XI regional director Ednar Dayanghirang, and City Disaster Risk and Reduction Management Office (CDRRMO) chief Alfredo Balura spearheaded the “Walk the Fault” activity in barangays Catalunan Pequeño and Catalunan Grande in Talomo District and Sto. Niño in Tugbok.
The three-day Walk the Fault campaign downloaded critical information to local leaders to prepare for a massive earthquake along the Dacudao fault.
The Dacudao Fault, a reverse fault of the Central Davao Fault System, stretches 18 kilometers running through barangays of Lamanan, Lacson, Dacudao, Calinan, Talomo River, Riverside, Los Amigos, Ula, Tugbok, Mintal, Sto. Niño, Catalunan Grande, Catalunan Pequeño, and Talomo.
CDRRMO chief Baluran said these faultlines were not yet fully identified years ago, yet now residents are already occupying these danger zones.
“Pag-construct ana, wala paman nigawas ang results sa mga technical studies and research about fault lines. And now na naa na, mandate namo na sa OCD XI, Philvocs, DOST (Department of Science and Technology), CDRRMO and the city na dapat ipahibalo sa inyoha,” Baluran said.
Perez also pointed out the possible subdivisions and villages located in Catalunan Pequeño affected by the fault.
Dayanghirang said, “The awareness level of the citizens because of their conducted training for disasters are now higher”.
On the afternoon of Nov. 17, a magnitude 6.8 earthquake occurred in Sarangani, Davao Occidental. The tremor also shook Davao City at intensity IV, which damaged several schools and other establishments.
- AFP hopes localized talks to solve insurgency, say
- City to deliver food packs to families affected by Taal
- Davao City feted as top-performing LGU for VaxCertPH implementation
- Former rebels see sights in HK courtesy of President Duterte
- Ninja Van PH celebrates 5 years of excellence
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Davao Light and TESDA partner to refurbish skills workshop laboratory
- Payday ready
- MY ART THOUGHTS | The Value of Art Critique
- Piñol to decide whether to run for senate by next week