- EastMinCom soldiers, PNP ready for barangay, SK elections
THE EASTERN Mindanao Command (EastMinCom), which covers Davao, Caraga, and Soccsksargen regions, is on high alert for the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections (BSKE) 2023.
Although the command did not monitor any immediate threat from terror and communist groups, EastMinCom took a more proactive approach to ensure the safety and integrity of the electoral process.
As of Oct. 28, 2023, EastMinCom reported that 11 individuals were apprehended for gun ban violations. Soldiers confiscated 11 low-powered firearms and a total of 116 pieces of ammunition.
Lt Col Ma. Cristina Manuel, EastMinCom spokesperson, said designated troops are fully geared to provide security and escorts for the simultaneous distribution of ballot boxes to polling places.
Meanwhile, the area’s categorization of election hotspots, as declared by the Commission on Elections (Comelec), remains unchanged.
EastMinCom’s joint task forces, in collaboration with the Philippine National Police (PNP), established 102 checkpoints manned by 848 personnel to maintain law and order.
Also, joint security coordinating center liaison officers are closely monitoring regions, municipalities, and cities for potential hotspots.
LtGen Greg T. Almerol, EastMinCom commander, issued directives to ground commanders to initiate measures and intercept communist terrorists who want to disrupt or influence the democratic process.
Almerol said, “These groups are already weakened and soon to be dismantled. Hence, they may instead resort to extortion activities and manipulate both voters and politicians to comply with their demands. Thus, I am reminding voters and candidates to never give in to these threat groups, as it will do more harm to peace and security in our communities.”
EastMinCom assures the public that its personnel will always maintain a non-partisan stance to uphold the interest of the Filipino people.
Some 10,000 soldiers, cops, and multi-agency forces were deployed to secure the elections in Davao Region.
- Mom in her kitchen. See what’s cooking, too!
- ROUGH CUTS | These rumor mongers
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 6, 2021
- Rough Cuts | No need to find alibis
- Police, victims, and a call for change
- SCENE CITY | Verdeli opens as newest destination in Malagos
- DCPO recognized as best police office
- 59 communist guerrillas surrender since January
- Scene City | Quarantine is a blessing in disguise
- President urged: Cancel franchise of electric coop