THE DEPARTMENT of Agriculture recorded P7.1 million in crop value losses in Davao de Oro and Davao Oriental as a result of Tropical Depression ‘Kabayan’ last Dec. 19.
During the Zoom interview conducted on Dec. 21, DA XI Disaster Risk Reduction Management regional focal person Joedel Leliza said the losses would disrupt the region’s farm production.
“May effect ito kasi kung titingnan natin, around 7,000 to 8,000 metric tons ang mawawala sa Davao de Oro, hindi pa po kasama ang sa Compostela. Kasi, maliit lang ‘yung rice area natin sa Davao region, and damaged pa, so may effect siya sa supply,” Leliza said.
In Davao de Oro, about 1,615 rice farmers were affected, and 892 hectares were damaged totaling P4,854,320 in crop value loss. Corn areas in Mongkayo affected 67 farmers and flattened 76 hectares, with a damage of P2,288,675.
Among the affected municipalities were Mawab, Montevista, Laak, Nabunturan, and Compostela.
The affected areas in Davao Oriental included 665.8 hectares of rice, 56.75 hectares of high-value crops, 30 hectares of coconut, 11 hectares of corn, 61 heads of livestock died, 0.12 hectares fishpond damaged, and three units of fishing boats were destroyed. The Affected municipalities were Lupon, Cateel, Manay, and Boston.
“This is just an initial report. Affected provinces are conducting validation right now to come up with a Final-Validated Damage and Loss Assessment Report,” he said.
He also said the Buffer Stocking Program by the Department of Agriculture will be able to accommodate and provide rice seeds for the 892 hectares of rice fields.
“We are preparing the rice program to rehabilitate areas, we just have to finalize the damage report para mas comprehensive yung plan natin and ma-gauge kung ilang hektarya ba talaga ang i-rehabilitate sa Davao de Oro and Davao Oriental,” he added.
Photo courtesy of the Davao Oriental Provincial Government FB page
- Toril inferno | Fire razes 50 houses in Crossing Bayabas
- Cagayan de Oro, Zamboanga start vaccinating senior citizens
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Scene City | Hannah Marie Denila’s debut
- “You Have the Power” Roadshow slated this Friday at SM Lanang
- DCWD not affected by drought
- City surpasses last year’s business renewal numbers
- Man with P600,000 in shabu nabbed
- ‘She was my friend’: Army commander denies involvement in model’s murder
- TESTAMENT TO GRIT | Former athletes marvel at Hidilyn Diaz’s sacrifices to grab Olympic gold