Press "Enter" to skip to content

City fire district warns against using octopus electical connection

THE DAVAO City Fire District (DCFD) warned homeowners of the safety hazards of using an octopus electrical connection.

Octopus wiring consists of extension chords plugged into a single power outlet, which may cause fire and other electrical-related incidents.

Fire Senior Inspector Shaira Borja, DCFD intelligence and investigation chief, said octopus connection is an unsafe practice considering extension wires have limited maximum capacity.

“The load of the wire will exceed its capacity, tapos saksakan pa og dako nga voltage, it is inappropriate for the wires and can cause overheating,” Borja said.

Borja reiterated the reminder after the incident of two separate fires broke out on Sunday, April 7.

The first fire reached 3rd alarm, scorching 20 houses in Muslim Village, Times Beach, while the second fire erupted in Seawall, Bucana. The culprits of the fires were electrical overloading and an unattended plugged electric fan, respectively.

Tungod sa kainit sa panahon, mostly sa mga balay, nagagamit og electric fan, aircon, gadgets, so paspas mag-init (The hot season forces people to use electric fan, aircon, and gadgets for extended periods to they can overheat),” Borja said.

The residence where the fire started had numerous appliances plugged into a single electrical connection. Borja added that neighboring houses without electricity would connect from the same house.

The official stressed the importance of observing fire safety consciousness, especially during summer when the heat is extreme. She advised the proper use of appliances and unplugging electrical connections when not in use.


Powered By ICTC/DRS