THE TRAFFIC Enforcement Unit (TEU) of the Davao City Police Office (DCPO) collected around P2 million in fines from violators of illegally modified mufflers (bora-bora).
The TEU, along with the Davao City Transport and Traffic Management Office (CTTMO), Land Transportation Office, and the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board, conducted 9,010 operations from Jan. 1 to Nov. 28.
TEU chief PMaj Dexter Domingo said 1,873 of the total operations resulted in fines and apprehensions. In 338 of the cases, enforcers confiscated the driver’s licenses and issued temporary operator’s permits (TOP).
Meanwhile, the unit issued citation tickets for the rest of the 1,535 cases.
The apprehension of illegal mufflers or bora-bora is mandated by Republic Act 4136 or the Land Transportation and Traffic Code.
Domingo added that the anti-bora-bora campaign is also implemented in support of R.A. 8749 or the Clean Air Act to mitigate carbon emissions and noise pollution. Due to the campaign, 279 voluntarily surrendered their motorcycles equipped with illegal mufflers, and these are presently impounded in the TEU compound.
During the iSpeak forum on Nov. 30, Domingo said he expects more violators will surrender their bora-bora mufflers as the campaign continues.
The TEU also monitors the streets for violators, especially during late hours when vehicles with modified mufflers participate in drag races.
“Tuloy-tuloy pa rin naman kami kahit Saturdays and Sundays kasama ang CTTMO, LTO, LTFRB sa Davao City just to implement [the campaign],” Domingo said.
- PH to showcase footprint as host of global fintech festival
- FORGED BY FRIENDSHIP RECOVERY GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP
- Coastal barangays yield 21,428 sacks of garbage
- Nunot: Ang naanda’ng reaksiyon
- My Turn | Water Woes (Part 2)
- Luisita looms as underdog as PAL Senior Interclub kicks off
- Rough Cuts | An EAGA dream is off again
- Rough Cuts | Why no Mindanaoan nationally-recognized hero?
- LandBank waives fees for fund transfers below P1,000
- Army seizes NPA cache containing ammo, bomb parts