A barangay peace officer is facing charges following a shooting incident that sparked from an argument over coconut harvest in Barangay Talandang, Tugbok District on Sunday evening.
Chief Insp. Ricky Obenza, the Tugbok police station commander, said they have charged Melchor Paas Ali, 33, a resident of Purok Lanzones, before the City Prosecutor’s Office for illegal possession of firearm and the election gun ban on Monday afternoon.
Obenza said he dispatched a team after a village councilor called up his office informing that a shooting incident transpired in Purok Tisa, Talandang on Sunday evening.
Investigation conducted showed that Ali, armed with air gun, shot Ian Jose Ngoho, 28, single, laborer and resident or Purok Tisa around 6:30 p.m.
Ngoho was hit on his abdomen. He was rushed to the Southern Philippines Medical Center by the barangay staff.
During a manhunt operation, Ali was arrested outside the store owned by the barangay captain.
Police also recovered the caliber .22 Philcolt Air Gun after it was turned over by a village councilor to police operatives.
Another village councilor also endorsed a bolo, which was allegedly used by the victim during the incident.
“They are neighbors who were having a heated argument because of their coconut harvest,” Obenza said.
“The victim, together with his cousin, went to the suspect’s house armed with bolo,” he added. The shooting then happened.
Both suspect and victim were drunk during the incident.
Police could have charged Ali for frustrated homicide but the victim refused to press a charge.
For now, the suspect is held at the Tugbok Police station.
- FINED, TOO | SEC revokes entity for fraud
- Rough Cuts | Time to throw his weight around
- EGALITARIAN | People’s welfare as an agenda
- Electronic producer CHROMANCE teams up with K-Pop group MOMOLAND for the new version of “Wrap Me In Plastic”
- Vegas Fuels reopens, grants Bayanihan Prices
- Recovery of tourism industry needs push, says executive
- GJAPS Pirates are 2019 Uraya Fortys hoop champs
- Wanderlust | Gulangyu: An island of history
- DLSU gets 2nd win in 34th Kadayawan hoop
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Too much katol