THE DAVAO City Police Office (DCPO) reiterated its stern warning against posting unverified information online as it vows to run after those spreading false information that can cause unnecessary panic.
Authorities are responding to the message spreading on social media that a bombing incident will occur this Sunday in high-traffic areas, particularly in SM Lanang, Abreeza, San Pedro Cathedral, terminals, Bankerohan Public Market, Gaisano Mall, and Matina crossing.
“Wala pong katotohanan yan, kagagawan lang yan ng mga taong malilikot ang utak at nakikisawsaw sa sitwasyon ngayon sa Davao City (There is no truth in that. It’s the handiwork of people with twisted minds who are exploiting the situation in Davao City),” DCPO spokesperson Captain Hazel Tuazon in an interview on Thursday.
“Wala tay na received nga intel reports nga naay threat sa atong seguridad diri sa Davao City (We have not received any intelligence reports regarding any threat to our security here in Davao City),” Tuazon added.
She said they are tracing the source of the false information.
“We strongly condemn the posting and spreading of fake news within the city. Anyone caught and traced spreading irrelevant information concerning terrorist acts and bomb threats will be held liable under Revised Penal Code Article 154,” DCPO chief Col Alberto Lupaz said in a statement.
The penalty for violation of this article is imprisonment of Arresto Mayor, with the fine increased to a range of P 40,000 to P 200,000.
The DCPO urged Davaoeños to coordinate with the police by providing information of any false information causing panic and fear to residents.
“We humbly request not to spread fake news or believe unreliable sources. Let us all work together to protect our beloved city from violence and illegal acts. Davao City Police assures everyone that our top priority is the safety and security of all,” he further said.
- PH to showcase footprint as host of global fintech festival
- FORGED BY FRIENDSHIP RECOVERY GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP
- Coastal barangays yield 21,428 sacks of garbage
- Nunot: Ang naanda’ng reaksiyon
- My Turn | Water Woes (Part 2)
- Luisita looms as underdog as PAL Senior Interclub kicks off
- Rough Cuts | An EAGA dream is off again
- Rough Cuts | Why no Mindanaoan nationally-recognized hero?
- LandBank waives fees for fund transfers below P1,000
- Army seizes NPA cache containing ammo, bomb parts