TROOPS from the 29th Infantry (Matatag) Battalion seized four high-powered firearms after encountering Communist NPA Terrorists (CNTs) in Agusan del Norte on Saturday.
Major Francisco Garello Jr., the spokesperson of the 4th Infantry Division, said the soldiers clashed with members of the Sub-Regional Sentro de Grabidad Northland (SRSDG-NL), Northeastern Mindanao Regional Committee (NEMRC) during a focused military operation targeting communist rebels.
The 15-minute firefight resulted in the capture of an AK47 rifle, M4 rifles, an M16 rifle, magazines, medical supplies, and subversive documents, the report said.
The said rebels were the remnants of the former SRC Northland, which is now on the brink of collapse.
Last Sept 2022, Rolando Leyson alias Edroy, the sub-regional command secretary, was killed in an encounter with government forces in the highlands in Jabonga of the same province.
Colonel Arsenio DC Sadural, commander of the 901st Infantry Brigade, commended Lieutenant Colonel Crecencio Gargar, 29IB commanding officer, for the recent accomplishment.
“The SRSDG Northland is now on the verge of its downfall. The absence of an established guerrilla base and support from the masses was a factor in its eventual defeat. It would not be easy for them to recover since the government already has the full support of the people in the area who are longing for peace,” Sadural said.
“I encourage the people of Agusan Del Norte to be more vigilant in guarding their communities and domains. Let us not give a chance for the CNTs to destroy our peaceful lives with their false promises and false hopes. We should exert effort to encourage these CNTs to surrender in order to live a peaceful life with their loved ones, just as we are,” Sadural added.
- PH to showcase footprint as host of global fintech festival
- FORGED BY FRIENDSHIP RECOVERY GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP
- Coastal barangays yield 21,428 sacks of garbage
- Nunot: Ang naanda’ng reaksiyon
- My Turn | Water Woes (Part 2)
- Luisita looms as underdog as PAL Senior Interclub kicks off
- Rough Cuts | An EAGA dream is off again
- Rough Cuts | Why no Mindanaoan nationally-recognized hero?
- LandBank waives fees for fund transfers below P1,000
- Army seizes NPA cache containing ammo, bomb parts