THE CITY Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) rescued more than 2,000 families or more than 8,000 individuals from 15 barangays after major rivers overflowed on Wednesday, Jan. 31.
The floods were triggered by the heavy rains brought about by the trough of the low-pressure Area.
“Out of 15 barangays, naa ta’y 2,423 families ang na-record sa rescue operations sa CDRRMO kauban ang augmentation sa uniformed personnel (Out of 15 barangays, 2,423 were rescued through the operations of the CDRRMO augmented by uniformed personnel),” Baloran said.
As of Thursday morning, the office recorded no reports of casualties or injuries due to flooding or landslides.
The CDRRMO advised pre-emptive and mandatory evacuations due to the increasing level of water in major rivers as early as Wednesday afternoon.
As of 9:37 am on Feb. 1, 2024, the Lasang and Bunawan rivers were already at critical levels but still subsiding. The Talomo and Davao rivers were placed under code orange (warning level) although gradually subsiding, and the Lipadas and Matina rivers were on safe levels.
Due to the floods, pre-emptive evacuation was voluntarily done by residents in the previously landslide-hit area in Tigatto. At least 21 families (89 individuals) left their homes for safety.
For the flooding, Baloran said that while a majority took heed of the pre-emptive and mandatory evacuation, some unfortunately did not follow and underestimated the rise of the water. He reiterated that people should take advisories seriously.
“Kita man nakahibalo unsa ang kakusog sa tubig (Our office knows how strong the current would be),” Baloran said, adding that they use river cameras to monitor the headwaters.
Baloran also said since there are still rivers at critical levels and rainy weather may still be experienced within the city or neighboring cities, those in the evacuation areas must stay until advised otherwise.
“Since naa pa’y tubig sa dagkong sapa, mag-amping ta kanunay. Ang uban mamugos og balik sa ilang balay para manglimpyo. Hulaton nato ang mando nga safety na nga mubalik kay gina monitor pa nato ang tubig kung naa na sa safe level. (Since major rivers are still swollen, we should remain cautious. Some may insist on returning to their houses to clean up but we should wait for the advisory that it is already safe to return because we keep on monitoring the water if it is already at the safe level),” Baloran said.
Meanwhile, Baloran advised Davaoeños to always prepare rain protection gear and take heed of their advisories considering Pagasa’s forecast of continued rain showers.
As of 9 a.m. on Thursday, the Davao City Police Office said individuals were evacuated to temporary shelters in barangays 5-A, 8-A, 19-B, 2-A, Tigatto, Bunawan, Lasang, Tambobong, Waan, Mandug, 74-A, Matina Crossing, Phase 1 of Barangay 76-A, and Ma-a.
The breakdown of the affected families is as follows:
- 144 families consisting of 577 individuals evacuated to Barangay 5A gymnasium; 130 families or 536 individuals in Barangay 8-A stayed in Upper Madapo gym; 202 families or 719 individuals in Barangay 19-B took shelter at Phase 1 gym, and 168 families or 656 individuals stayed in Phase 4 gym, both in El Rio.
- In Barangay 2-A, five families consisting of 15 individuals stayed in Marfori building; 25 families consisting of 77 individuals stayed at Juliville gym; 180 families or 500 individuals stayed in Bunawan gym; 143 families consisting of 508 individuals remained in Lasang gym; 59 families or 202 individuals of Tambobong stayed in the Baguio District gym.
The other affected are:
- 136 families or 438 individuals in Waan in Purok 12; 25 families or 111 individuals of Mandug stayed in Pablo Lorenzo National High School; 24 families or 95 individuals are in Barangay Waan gym; 528 families or 1,794 individuals in Ma-a stayed at Josefa Llanes Escoda Elementary and Ma-a National High School.
- 79 families or 328 individuals in Matina Crossing stayed at the Immaculate Chapel evacuation site, and 54 families consisting of 193 individuals of Phase 1, Barangay 76A stayed at Bucana gym.
As of this writing, Tuazon said individuals are still at the evacuation centers. She also said Jade Valley in Buhangin is still not passable to motorists.
- Scene City: Singapore Tourism Board wins gold
- Davao Light wins ASEAN Award for fostering economic stability for the differently-abled
- Cultural Potpourri | Savoring Munchtown with Carlo Calma Lorenzana
- RP rower Nievarez reaches quarterfinals
- Outgoing Indonesian consul nominated adopted son of city
- Publisher’s Notes | It’s D-Day!
- FROM THE MAIL | EcoWaste flags online sale of banned Mercury-containing medical devices
- 150 join ‘rally’ vs. communists
- NUNOT SA ALISNGAW SA KAPE | Asa nagkulang, kinsa angayan basulon?
- VRU: Smokers keep violating due to low fines