One policeman was killed while 11 others were wounded after their vehicles was hit by two explosions of improvised explosive devices at Purok 4, Kabisig, Poblacion Magpet, North Cotabato around 6 a.m. on Monday.
Chief Insp. Edgard Cuanan Jr., the PNP legal officer of the Police Regional Office XII, said elements of the Cotabato Police Mobile Force Company, led by SPO1 Michael Mariano Gumera Escaño, were on board their patrol cars for police visibility in the aftermath of the clash in Sitio Paraiso, Barangay Basak at 9:20 a.m. of Jan. 27.
As the team reached a hilly portion of the barangay, a roadside bomb exploded followed by successive gunbursts toward the vehicles.
The attack was believed to be perpetrated by the Militiang Bayan of Guerrilla Front 53 under Kumander Alon. The rebels then withdrew toward Barangay Inac, Magpet.
PO1 Christopher Anadon, 29, a resident of Parang, Maguindanao died from shrapnel wounds after fighting for his life for about 12 hours.
Meanwhile, PO1 Stephenson Batoon Parreño, 27, a resident of Carmen, Cotabato also sustained injuries and was rushed to Kidapawan City for medical treatment.
SPO1 Michael Mariano G. Escaño, 42, married, Kidapawan City; PO2 Marinerl R. Pastores, 38, married, Midsayap, North Cotabato; PO1 Eliezer D. Langcuban, 27, Kidapawan City; PO1 Darrell E. Ferolino, 26, married, Midsayap; PO1 Phil Jan Ray C. Canarejo, 27, single, Aleosan, North Cotabato; PO1 Franz Deo A. Lechago, 25, Matalam, Cotabato; and PO1 Mark Vincent Capilitan, 30, married, resident of Kidapawan City also sustained minor injuries.
The other wounded PNP personnel were PO2 Dennis M. Dorado, 40, married; SPO1 Wilfred Castanares Perocho, 38; PO1 Ian Francis Duremdes Seniel, 33; and PO1 Stephenson Batoon Parreno, 27. They were all rushed to Kidapawan City hospital.
He said that investigation is still ongoing to determine the type of explosives used and also to identify the perpetrators.
“We are now establishing the true identity of the suspected NPA members for the filing of appropriate case,” Cuanan said.
- FINED, TOO | SEC revokes entity for fraud
- Rough Cuts | Time to throw his weight around
- EGALITARIAN | People’s welfare as an agenda
- Electronic producer CHROMANCE teams up with K-Pop group MOMOLAND for the new version of “Wrap Me In Plastic”
- Vegas Fuels reopens, grants Bayanihan Prices
- Recovery of tourism industry needs push, says executive
- GJAPS Pirates are 2019 Uraya Fortys hoop champs
- Wanderlust | Gulangyu: An island of history
- DLSU gets 2nd win in 34th Kadayawan hoop
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Too much katol