THE EASTERN Mindanao Command (EastMinCom) assured that no private armed groups (PAGs) will harass aspirants and voters during the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections on Oct. 30.
During the AFP-PNP press corps briefing at The Royal Mandaya Hotel on Wednesday, Lt Col Maria Cristina Rosete-Manuel, the spokesperson of EastMinCom, said soldiers were already deployed to support the police in securing the polls.
“In the BSKE, wherein the EastMinCom, led by Lt Gen Greg Almerol, will conduct security and support operations in the area and ensure a fair conduct of the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections,” Manuel said.
She said the command already has 102 established checkpoints in various areas under its jurisdiction.
She added that EastMinCom remains on high alert despite the absence of armed groups. They are coordinating with all intelligence counterparts to thwart possible threats.
The deployment of soldiers is concentrated on potential terrorist or criminal target areas, particularly voting areas, shopping malls, vital infrastructures, mass transport terminals, markets, and others.
“Yung kasundaluhan is really always prepared for any eventualities even during the time of humanitarian and disaster response at any time when there are threats, especially in hotspot areas. So, our soldiers are actually ready to perform their task to deter these threats that could be from political rivals or the CTG (communist terrorist group) in the area,” she said.
- Man sued for P3-M shabu
- Leni hit for comment on COVID-19 surge
- Dayanghirang: City to have a new congressional district
- Timesman | How I welcomed 2020
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- 3rd place finishes for RPVGCC squads in 73rd PAL Interclub
- Local priest dies of COVID-19 in Tagum
- MY TURN | Manila Bay Savior – Part 2
- Military flights to continue amid region air travel ban
- LGUs urged: Establish Halal councils