6 dead, 17 arrested, 31 guns and weapons confiscated
The Davao City Police Office (DCPO) has arrested 17 individuals and confiscated 31 guns and deadly weapons for violating the Commission on Election (Comelec) gun ban, as of Sunday, Sept. 17.
From August 28 to Sept. 17, which covered the gun ban period, DCPO arrested 17 individuals during the conduct of police operations in checkpoints and illegal drug buy bust operations.
In the 10 operations conducted, nine were arrested, six died during police operations, and 11 firearms were confiscated.
Meanwhile, for carrying deadly weapons, eight individuals were arrested and 20 deadly weapons ( bladed weapons, grenades, and explosives) were confiscated.
DCPO spokesperson Captain Hazel Tuazon, said there are 1,547 checkpoints jointly conducted by the Police and Military in the different areas in the city.
The gun ban started on August 28 and will end on November 29, 2023.
Under Comelec Resolution No. 10918, the Committee on the Ban on Firearms and Security Concerns, headed by Commissioner Aimee Ferolino, is assigned to issue Certificates of Authority (CA) to those exempted from the gun ban.
The following activities are not permitted throughout the election period unless specifically permitted by the poll body through a CA:
1.) To own, transport, or bear guns or other lethal weapons in all public areas and away from one’s home or place of work;
2.) To enlist the services of security guards and other bodyguards; and
3.) To carry or distribute explosives and guns, as well as any associated components, ammunition, or parts.
Meanwhile, the Davao Police Regional Office said there are still no election hotspots being considered in the region.
- REFLECTIONS | More evils: Cults, “possession,” pornography and child abuse
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Before there was EDSA, there was Claveria
- ROUGH CUTS… | The other face of Davao City
- TIMESMAN | My life story
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- Parents of kids with seizure episodes urged to seek medical checkup ASAP
- Davao Light honors scholars, board passers
- SMB’s 14th ‘Trees Brew Life’ regreens Panigan Watershed
- 337 NPA guerrillas neutralized from Jan to Sept: EastMinCom
- Floods, landslides in Region XI displace 10,000 people: RDRRMC