THE COMMISSION on Elections (Comelec XI) reminded candidates against premature campaigning now that the filing of Certificate of Candidacy (COC) has closed.
During the Kapehan sa Dabaw on Sept. 4, Atty. Gay Enumerables, Comelec XI assistant regional director, said offenders might likely be disqualified and even charged with criminal cases.
“Very aggressive ang atong chair ron nga file-an gyud daw og kaso ang nangampanya prematurely, so far diri sa south banda, natanggal na (Our chair is so aggressive that those who campaigned prematurely will face a case. So far, someone here from the south was already removed), and I hope it will be sustained,” Enumerables said.
The Omnibus Election Code considers premature campaigning or “to engage in an election campaign or partisan political activity except during the campaign period” as unlawful.
The 2023 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections campaign period runs only from Oct. 19 to Oct. 28.
However, Comelec admitted to having a hard time controlling the aspirants’ activities on social media platforms. So, Enumerables called on the public to report anyone they saw violating the law on premature campaigning.
“Social media is a free platform, daghan gihapon ang makakita, and maka report sa amoa (many people will see, and can report to us),” Enumerables added.
However, she said those who report must also file a verified affidavit and not only complain anonymously so that necessary actions may be taken against the violator.
After the six-day COC filing from Aug 28- Sep 2, Davao City recorded a total of 471 candidates for punong barangay, 4,569 sangguniang barangay members, 493 Sangguniang Kabataan chairperson, and 2,497 for SK Members.
- REFLECTIONS | More evils: Cults, “possession,” pornography and child abuse
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Before there was EDSA, there was Claveria
- ROUGH CUTS… | The other face of Davao City
- TIMESMAN | My life story
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- Parents of kids with seizure episodes urged to seek medical checkup ASAP
- Davao Light honors scholars, board passers
- SMB’s 14th ‘Trees Brew Life’ regreens Panigan Watershed
- 337 NPA guerrillas neutralized from Jan to Sept: EastMinCom
- Floods, landslides in Region XI displace 10,000 people: RDRRMC