THE DEPARTMENT of Interior and Local Government (DILG XI) backed the Comelec’s implementation of a money ban for the upcoming Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections on Oct. 30.
During the Kapihan sa PIA at NCCC Victoria Plaza on Aug. 25, DILG XI regional director Alex Roldan said they must follow the money trail and interrogate whoever carries loads of cash to determine the ultimate goal.
“Mag daladala kag daghang kwarta panahon sa eleksyon dako gyung chances nga gamiton nimo pamalit og boto. Dapat kwestyunon gyud ka ( If you bring loads of money during Elections, there is a chance you can use it for vote-buying. You must be questioned),” Roldan said.
“Kung di man lang ka komprador, unsay purpose magdala-dala kag kwarta? Naa gyud nay purpose, so likayan na sya daan (If you are not a businessman, what’s the purpose of bringing a [large amount of] money? It could be for a [ill] purpose, so it has to be avoided),” he added.
The official urged the public to report anyone transporting large sums of money to the proper authorities.
Comelec has set to implement the money ban five days before the holding of the BSKE Elections.
Any “possession or transport” of cash exceeding P500,000 is presumed to be used for vote buying or selling and can be charged criminally, the Comelec said.
The money ban shall not be absolute as messengers, cashiers, and other company employees involved in money transport shall be exempted, provided that they can show ID for proof of employment.
Meanwhile, Roldan reminded the public to avoid clashing with neighbors and to “chill” as the elections are only temporary.
“We have to remember silingan nato na [unya] inig ka human sa eleksyon, di man pwede nga ibalhin ang balay sa laing lugar (We have to remember, we are neighbors, and after elections, it is not possible to transfer our house to another place),” he added.
- REFLECTIONS | More evils: Cults, “possession,” pornography and child abuse
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Before there was EDSA, there was Claveria
- ROUGH CUTS… | The other face of Davao City
- TIMESMAN | My life story
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- Parents of kids with seizure episodes urged to seek medical checkup ASAP
- Davao Light honors scholars, board passers
- SMB’s 14th ‘Trees Brew Life’ regreens Panigan Watershed
- 337 NPA guerrillas neutralized from Jan to Sept: EastMinCom
- Floods, landslides in Region XI displace 10,000 people: RDRRMC