A CENTENNIAL tree killed a father and mother when it collapsed on their house in Barangay Magdug, Governor Generoso, Davao Oriental at around 7 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 18.
Police identified the victim couple as Janelle Yap, 23, and Jocelyn Yap, 26. Fortunately, their two daughters survived the freak accident.
According to the report, heavy rain and strong wind were battering the area at that time when the Mamacao tree was uprooted. Residents later found its roots and trunk were broken.
The family of four was rushed to the hospital but the couple did not make it. Their seven-year-old continues to be treated and the three-year-old is now stable.
The local government and the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) shouldered all hospitalization expenses for the orphaned minors.
- P14-M worth of prizes up for grabs in the 14th Eaglemasters Golf Tourney
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Women leaders oppose DSWD’s “discriminatory” policies
- TIMESMAN | My last wish!
- IMPULSES | Coffee, choco love affair in Iloilo City
- Solar farm project to attract tourists
- Alleged IP rebel leader slain in Army encounter in Bohol
- Second batch of rice retailers to receive subsidies next week
- Fatal motorbike crash claims two young lives
- P500-K of shabu seized from father, son, nephew