THE DEPARTMENT of Agriculture in the region (DA XI) encouraged farmers to follow good agricultural practices (GAPs), a certification system for agriculture, to ensure consistent durian quality in Davao City.
During the launching of the Durian Festival at SM Lanang Premier on Aug. 11, Dr. Marila Corpuz, DA XI regional technical director, said the event not only promotes durian for Kadayawan but aims to expand its market as well.
“Davao Region maintains its prominence as the leading durian producer in the country. In fact, recent data shows that up to date we already had 74,158 metric tons of production in the last year, with 58,648 metric tons or 79% being from Davao City,” Corpuz said.
Corpuz said GAPs improve the quality of durian and optimize business operations for the industry, and serve as preparation for the recently signed agreement to export to China.
“Before, dadaan pa po tayo ng ibang country bago makarating ang ating durian sa China. Last Jan. 3, 2023, together with the representative from Durian Industry Association of Davao City, we flew to China to witness the signing of the bilateral agreement, which means that our durian will go directly to China,” Corpuz added.
Corpuz said one of the advantages of the agreement is labeling the durian as “Made from the Philippines.”
“This agreement encourages our durian farmers to adhere to good agricultural practices (GAPs), ug daghan na pud ang nag comply. Maong sa mga mag-uuma na wala pa nagpaGAPs, pag-comply namo (plenty have already complied. So for growers who have not employed GAPs must start complying),” she said.
The Durian Festival, which runs from Aug. 11 to Sept. 11, is an initiative of the Durian Industry Association of Davao City, the Department of Tourism, and SM Management.
- REFLECTIONS | More evils: Cults, “possession,” pornography and child abuse
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Before there was EDSA, there was Claveria
- ROUGH CUTS… | The other face of Davao City
- TIMESMAN | My life story
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- Parents of kids with seizure episodes urged to seek medical checkup ASAP
- Davao Light honors scholars, board passers
- SMB’s 14th ‘Trees Brew Life’ regreens Panigan Watershed
- 337 NPA guerrillas neutralized from Jan to Sept: EastMinCom
- Floods, landslides in Region XI displace 10,000 people: RDRRMC