AN ALLEGED robber was killed when he reportedly tried to fight the arresting officers along the Davao-Bukidnon Highway in Dacudao, Barangay Mintal, Tugbok District, around 8 p.m. on July 19.
Davao City Police Office spokesperson Captain Hazel Tuazon identified him as Hilal Mustapha, a resident of Marogong, Lanao del Sur.
The victim, Bernardo Caminade, 50, a resident of Barangay Fatima, Paquibato District, sought the help of patrolling officers after he was allegedly robbed by two men while driving his ombak tricycle.
One of the passengers tried to strangle him with a nylon rope while the other one grabbed the steering wheel.
Fortunately, the victim managed to escape as the two men took off the tricycle bearing number plate LO13543 heading toward Calinan.
The police immediately launched a manhunt against the two suspects. They found the suspects around 8:35 p.m. at Purok 13, Sitio Quarry, Barangay Tugbok Proper, particularly before Angalan Bridge 1.
However, Mustapha reportedly shot at the team, prompting officers to fire back. His companion jumped to the grassy portion and fled.
The suspect was brought to the Holy Spirit Hospital but was declared dead on arrival by the attending physician.
Scene of the Crime Operative (SOCO) team recovered cartridges from 9mm pistols from the site, a black sling bag, and a sachet of shabu. Police also recovered the stolen tricycle.
- REFLECTIONS | More evils: Cults, “possession,” pornography and child abuse
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Before there was EDSA, there was Claveria
- ROUGH CUTS… | The other face of Davao City
- TIMESMAN | My life story
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- Parents of kids with seizure episodes urged to seek medical checkup ASAP
- Davao Light honors scholars, board passers
- SMB’s 14th ‘Trees Brew Life’ regreens Panigan Watershed
- 337 NPA guerrillas neutralized from Jan to Sept: EastMinCom
- Floods, landslides in Region XI displace 10,000 people: RDRRMC