MORE THAN P400,000 worth of smuggled cigarettes were seized by the Task Force Davao and the Davao City Police Office at the Sirawan checkpoint, Toril, at around 8 p.m. on Wednesday, July 12.
Captain John Louie Dema-ala, Task Force Davao spokesperson, identified the suspect as Salvador C Gloria Jr, 45, married, and a resident of 1515 Garden Heights Condominium, E. Rodriguez, Quezon City.
The report said Gloria was on board a metallic black Toyota Avanza bearing plate number HAG 4320, heading towards the city when the authorities flagged him. They intercepted 850 reams of smuggled San Milano King Size and King DJava Menthol Cigarettes.
Task Force Davao commander Colonel Darren E. Comia said the arrest only proved the checkpoint’s effectiveness in preventing illegal items and criminal groups from entering the city.
“The consecutive apprehension in our entry points manifested the stringent security checks being implemented by the Security Forces of Davao City to ensure that no illegal items or contrabands will get through the city, for the good of the economy and the city,” Comia said.
The suspect was turned over to the Toril Police Station to face a charge of violating Republic Act No. 4712: An Act amending certain sections of Tariff and Customs Code of The Philippines.
- P14-M worth of prizes up for grabs in the 14th Eaglemasters Golf Tourney
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Women leaders oppose DSWD’s “discriminatory” policies
- TIMESMAN | My last wish!
- IMPULSES | Coffee, choco love affair in Iloilo City
- Solar farm project to attract tourists
- Alleged IP rebel leader slain in Army encounter in Bohol
- Second batch of rice retailers to receive subsidies next week
- Fatal motorbike crash claims two young lives
- P500-K of shabu seized from father, son, nephew