AN ALLEGED theft and robbery suspect was killed in a shootout with elements of the Drug Enforcement Unit at Purok 8-A, Riverbed, Barangay 21-C, around 12:10 a.m. on Tuesday, July 11.
Police identified the slain suspect as Victor Gonzales Barrera, a resident of the said area.
Captain Hazel Tuazon, Davao City Police Office spokesperson, said Barrera was considered a top city-level high-valued individual for his involvement in illegal drugs. He was also on the list of Oplan RAT Tugis, a city-wide operation against criminals involved in robbery/hold-up, Akyat Bahay, and theft.
According to the report, Barrera sold a sachet of shabu to a police poseur buyer in exchange for P4,000.
However, when he was about to be arrested, the suspect fired at the arresting officer, who shot back.
The suspect was brought to the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) but was declared dead on arrival by the attending physician.
Scene of the Crime Operatives (SOCO) team recovered the .38 caliber revolver, ammunition, and cartridges.
Further recovered from the suspect were another two sachets of shabu worth P112,000, P4,000 buy-bust money, a Samsonite sling bag, and a coin purse with IDs.
Tuazon said the suspect had been in and out of jail multiple times for robbery and theft.
- P14-M worth of prizes up for grabs in the 14th Eaglemasters Golf Tourney
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Women leaders oppose DSWD’s “discriminatory” policies
- TIMESMAN | My last wish!
- IMPULSES | Coffee, choco love affair in Iloilo City
- Solar farm project to attract tourists
- Alleged IP rebel leader slain in Army encounter in Bohol
- Second batch of rice retailers to receive subsidies next week
- Fatal motorbike crash claims two young lives
- P500-K of shabu seized from father, son, nephew