THE DAVAO City Police Office collected about P2.7 million in total fines after the week-long operation on erring motorcycle drivers and other motorists for various traffic violations.
According to DCPO chief Col Alberto Lupaz, their personnel apprehended a total of 148 motorcycle drivers on 239 separate operations against motorcycles with bora-bora (modified mufflers), which accounted for about P400,000 in citation tickets and temporary operator’s permits (TOPs).
Nine motorcycles were also impounded during that period.
Meanwhile, law enforcers issued 2,570 citation tickets with a monetary equivalent of P1,300,000 from 706 operations on the Local Traffic Code. Meanwhile, 174 operations concerning RA 4136 (Land Transportation and Traffic Code) resulted in 464 issued TOPs totaling P985,292.
Captain Hazel Tuazon, the DCPO spokesperson, said they had to crack down on the proliferation of bora-bora following the mounting complaints from residents.
“Para ni sa mga tao nga gusto mupahulay matag gabie gikan sa trabaho (This is for the people who want to get a good night’s rest from their work),” Tuazon said.
“Nakahatag naman gud ni ug perwisyo sa mga tao (It has already created a public nuisance),” she said.
She added they are following Mayor Sebastian Duterte’s directive to intensify the operation against bora-bora.
Based on existing Land Transportation Office (LTO) regulations, motorcycles with exhaust pipes emitting a sound exceeding 115 decibels will be apprehended. The driver must dismantle the pipes and pay the corresponding fine of P5,000, covering unauthorized use of accessories, devices, equipment, and parts.
- REFLECTIONS | More evils: Cults, “possession,” pornography and child abuse
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Before there was EDSA, there was Claveria
- ROUGH CUTS… | The other face of Davao City
- TIMESMAN | My life story
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- Parents of kids with seizure episodes urged to seek medical checkup ASAP
- Davao Light honors scholars, board passers
- SMB’s 14th ‘Trees Brew Life’ regreens Panigan Watershed
- 337 NPA guerrillas neutralized from Jan to Sept: EastMinCom
- Floods, landslides in Region XI displace 10,000 people: RDRRMC