300 individuals seek shelter after houses sustain damage in a thunderstorm
THREE SMALL boats were missing, and more than 60 houses in Barangay 23-C sustained partial damage due to strong winds on Tuesday midnight.
In an interview on Tuesday, Alfredo Baloran, City Disaster Risk and Reduction Management Office (CDRRMO) chief, said the strong winds were triggered by a localized thunderstorm and not a tornado, contrary to the earlier reports.
Baloran said the families from puroks 2, 3, 4, and 5 had to seek high ground after most of their roofs were blown off.
Based on their data, there are 49 households with 247 individuals affected at Purok 4-H. Also, 20 households with 60 individuals were affected in Purok 5.
The affected individuals are temporarily sheltered at the evacuation center while undergoing assessment from the City Social and Welfare Development Office (CSWDO).
As of this writing, the CDRRMO personnel conducted a rapid assessment, together with the CSWDO representative, in puroks 4 and 5.
Thereafter, CSWDO personnel began tallying the affected houses and individuals.
Recently, the CDRRMO warned against possible floods due to the localized thunderstorms expected to hit the city in the coming weeks.
CDRRMO head Alfredo Baloran said the heavy downpour was due to the presence of low-pressure areas in the Pacific that turned into a tropical depression brought about by the southwest monsoon (Habagat).
Although the country is supposed to be experiencing its dry season, Baloran said more localized thunderstorms are expected in the coming weeks, so all citizens must exercise caution at all times.
- P14-M worth of prizes up for grabs in the 14th Eaglemasters Golf Tourney
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Women leaders oppose DSWD’s “discriminatory” policies
- TIMESMAN | My last wish!
- IMPULSES | Coffee, choco love affair in Iloilo City
- Solar farm project to attract tourists
- Alleged IP rebel leader slain in Army encounter in Bohol
- Second batch of rice retailers to receive subsidies next week
- Fatal motorbike crash claims two young lives
- P500-K of shabu seized from father, son, nephew