By Lea Regina Dulay and Joana Mae Villanueva | UM Interns
OVER 30 employers have committed to participate in the Kalayaan Jobs Fair by the Department of Labor and Employment Region XI (DOLE-XI) at SM City Annex from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on June 12.
The event will offer 2,051 job vacancies from 29 local employers and 1,473 slots from four overseas employers. Walk-in and online registered applicants will be accepted and undergo face-to-face interviews with the employers on-site.
Themed “Kalayaan 2023: Bagong Pilipinas, ang Diwa ng Pagkakaisa, Living the Bayanihan Spirit,” this year’s job fair will be different as it will incorporate a job seeker’s assistance desk in collaboration with City Social Welfare and Development Office Overseas Workers Welfare Administration, and the Department of Migrant Workers for overseas.
The desk consists of DOLE XI employees who will assist applicants in complying with their requirements by providing a place to print and/or photocopy their resumes and other documents.
“This year, we would like to assure the applicants that presentable sila pagdating nila doon sa (they are presentable when they arrive at the) interview area. So they will be catered with a conducive environment wherein dili sila (they are not) harassed, na kanang magdali-dali ug fill up sa ilang mga (that they will not rush in filling up their) application form.” said Lorraine Grace Ugsang, DOLE Davao City Field Office employment focal person.
On June 6 and 7, the team will gather at the University of Southeastern Philippines in Obrero; on June 16, at DMMA College of Southern Philippines and on Davao Central College Toril, June 17, will be at Catalunan Pequeño, June 21, at USEP Mintal and on June 23 will be at Barangay Centro San Juan, Davao City. These venues will make it convenient for applicants to apply for a job.
The top job vacancies are those in BPO companies, the second is at Grand Mall, the third are construction workers, and the fourth is for overseas workers. Overseas employers prioritize nurses, engineers, and waiters.
Meanwhile, PESO Davao also encouraged students to try their luck through the SPES program. “They will not work during summer but all year. They can apply, and there are two in the food chain and one in a mall here in Davao,” Lilibeth Pantinople, PESO Davao manager, said.
She said the SPES program opened 400 slots for students. Under the arrangement, the private company will pay 60% of their salary while the city government will absorb the remaining 40%.
- REFLECTIONS | More evils: Cults, “possession,” pornography and child abuse
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Before there was EDSA, there was Claveria
- ROUGH CUTS… | The other face of Davao City
- TIMESMAN | My life story
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- Parents of kids with seizure episodes urged to seek medical checkup ASAP
- Davao Light honors scholars, board passers
- SMB’s 14th ‘Trees Brew Life’ regreens Panigan Watershed
- 337 NPA guerrillas neutralized from Jan to Sept: EastMinCom
- Floods, landslides in Region XI displace 10,000 people: RDRRMC