By Sheendy Olivares and Princess Lacorte/AdDU Interns
BOROUGH Lasik Center offers an affordable alternative to correct vision using Schwind Eye-Tech Solutions, which utilizes high-caliber laser refractive technology.
The center currently offers three services: LASIK (Laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis), PRK (Photorefractive Keratectomy), and PresbyMAX.
During the Kapehan sa Dabaw at SM Annex on May 15, Dr. Ernesto Evangelista, one of the center’s surgeons, said they only opened last year in Davao and have operated on more than 5,000 patients since.
LASIK is one of the most commonly formed eye procedures to treat hyperopia, astigmatism, and myopia. PRK treats the same conditions, albeit the procedure is different.
A Lasik eye package for both eyes costs P60,000. In contrast, patients would have to spend P100,000 to P200,000 if they opt for surgery in Manila and abroad. The entire procedure only lasts for 20 minutes.
On the other hand, PresbyMAX is for curing people with reading vision problems. The procedure was introduced to the country two or three years ago.
All of these services require a suitability test and comprehensive eye screening for precise diagnosis and prescription of proper treatment. Individuals aged 18 and 19 are eligible for screening. Surgery can be considered if the eye grade is high.
However, performing surgery on people ages 55 and above is not ideal, especially for people with diabetes and hypertension. Evangelista exemplified this because people in this age bracket are susceptible to developing cataracts.
He mentioned that presbyopia and cataracts caused by aging are among Davao’s most common eye problems.
The center is currently located on JJ’s Commune Complex on Loyola Street. They had a free screening booth on the Ground Floor of the Annex Building on May 15, including a raffle with a free Lasik procedure as the grand prize.
- REFLECTIONS | More evils: Cults, “possession,” pornography and child abuse
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Before there was EDSA, there was Claveria
- ROUGH CUTS… | The other face of Davao City
- TIMESMAN | My life story
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- Parents of kids with seizure episodes urged to seek medical checkup ASAP
- Davao Light honors scholars, board passers
- SMB’s 14th ‘Trees Brew Life’ regreens Panigan Watershed
- 337 NPA guerrillas neutralized from Jan to Sept: EastMinCom
- Floods, landslides in Region XI displace 10,000 people: RDRRMC