THE DEPARTMENT of Natural Resources XI urged the Davao City lawmakers to lead the resolution of a tri-boundary conflict it shared with two other provinces in regions X and XII.
DENR XI regional executive director Bagani Fidel Evasco reported under suspended rules that the first tri-boundary conflict covers 7,682.67 hectares of Davao City, North Cotabato, and Bukidnon.
It affects the barangays of Buda, Salumay, Baganihan, and Marilog Proper in Davao City, Lorega in Bukidnon, and Katipunan in North Cotabato.
A boundary conflict also exists between Quezon, Bukidnon and Marilog District, overlapping claims covering 23,857.10 hectares. The third boundary conflict between Arakan (North Cotabato) and Marilog District (Davao City) covers an area of 13,199.19 hectares.
Evasco recommended a three-pronged approach involving the full participation and dedication of the people and the “distinguished men and women of the Davao City Council.” It requires acquiring accurate and unbiased data, collaboration among different groups, and establishing clear legal frameworks.
A similar boundary conflict was resolved between Davao Oriental, Surigao del Sur, and Caraga Region. Evasco encouraged the council to study how it was resolved and adopt a comprehensive plan.
“We can model from the experiences of other local governments and establish a comprehensive plan which shall involve reaching a compromise between the three local chief executive(s) as to which area shall be attributed to their respective provinces or city based on the ground truthing conducted,” Evasco said.
- BANGSAMORO SPEAKS | Our instrument for change is already in our hands
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Davao takes Pink October seriously
- TYBOX | Finding identity and integrity as artists
- IMPULSES | Let’s play with PhET in class
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- DA information caravan draws 654 farmers, producers
- P10.3-M granted to uniformed personnel in Reg-XI through CSBP
- Former government employee found dead with 44 stab wounds
- Alleged drug dealer slain in buy-bust
- Show cause order