By Gabrielle Ariadne Aguilar and Princess Lacorte/AdDU Interns
THE 3RD Annual Davao Art Festival held by Dabawenyo Artists Federation, Inc. (DAFI) started with a press conference at La Herencia Pavilion on May 12.
It was led by DAFI president Josie Tionko, vice president Vic Secuya and treasurer Victor Navales. Tabularasa Art Group’s Dinky Munda joined them, and Davao Watercolor Society Founder Lito Pepito, and President Saldy Mascardo.
The federation, composed of 14 local contemporary artist groups, organized the annual event to promote further, maximize the reputation, and amplify the voices of Dabwenyo artists.
DAFI’s main objective is to create an environment where artists can continue improving their artworks.
“I think for most artists, we are forever seeking perfection. It doesn’t matter if you have an artistic background or are self-taught; it’s always perfection that we are seeking,” DAFI President Tionko said.
This event is also for Davaoeños to become acquainted with and immerse themselves in the authenticity and unique takes on vast concepts that local artists bring to the art scene.
“Without it (art), the youth will not be able to see the musings of the people because art is a manifestation of the psyche of what’s happening around us. So, if the people, the youth, are not educated enough in being able to see the beauty in art… it would be such a loss,” DAFI Secretary Amande Fe Echevarria.
DAFI expressed great pride in this year’s exhibition as it finally occurred in a physical setting since the pandemic, whereas the first two exhibits were conducted online.
- BANGSAMORO SPEAKS | Our instrument for change is already in our hands
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Davao takes Pink October seriously
- TYBOX | Finding identity and integrity as artists
- IMPULSES | Let’s play with PhET in class
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- DA information caravan draws 654 farmers, producers
- P10.3-M granted to uniformed personnel in Reg-XI through CSBP
- Former government employee found dead with 44 stab wounds
- Alleged drug dealer slain in buy-bust
- Show cause order