by: Therence Mae Lamban & Enah Fleur Mamac/UM Intern
THE FACE-TO-FACE celebration of the Farmers’ and Fisherfolk’s Month resumes at Rizal Park on Tuesday, May 2, to recognize their contribution to food security and the economy.
This year’s theme is “Masayang Agrikultura, Maunlad na Ekonomiya”.
Department of Agriculture XI regional director Abel James Monteagudo lauds the farmers and fishers as “food champions” for their enormous help in providing food, especially during the pandemic.
“Kamong mag-uuma ug mangingisda (You farmers and fishers) remain to be constant partners of the government in keeping the economy towards achieving agricultural development through making food available and affordable for all,” he said.
Various farmers’ associations, cooperatives, and Municipal Agriculture and Fisheries Council officials were present at the opening.
Farmers and Fisherfolk’s Month is celebrated each May through Presidential Proclamation No. 33, issued on May 21, 1989.
The agriculture, forestry, and fishing (AFF) subsector contracted by -0.3 percent in Q4 of 2022 due to the decline in palay (-2.5%) and corn (-7.0%) production. Meanwhile, fishing and aquaculture also shrunk (-3.0%).
- BANGSAMORO SPEAKS | Our instrument for change is already in our hands
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Davao takes Pink October seriously
- TYBOX | Finding identity and integrity as artists
- IMPULSES | Let’s play with PhET in class
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- DA information caravan draws 654 farmers, producers
- P10.3-M granted to uniformed personnel in Reg-XI through CSBP
- Former government employee found dead with 44 stab wounds
- Alleged drug dealer slain in buy-bust
- Show cause order