City joins the country in celebrating nation’s heroes
THE CITY government commemorated the 81st Araw ng Kagitingan at Veterans Memorial Monument, Freedom Park, on Monday, April 10.
This year’s theme was “Kagitingan ng mga Beterano, Pundasyon ng Nagkakaisang Pilipino.”
“Happy Araw ng kagitingan sa atong veterans we spend this morning to commemorate and honor our heroes responsible for making our country peaceful and what it is today,” Mayor Sebastian Duterte told reporters in an interview on Monday.
Mayor Sebastian Duterte and Task Force Davao Col. Darren Comia, Public Security and Safety Office Head Angel Sumagaysay, Police Regional Office XI Brig Gen. Alden Delvo, and other officials led the wreath-laying ceremony.
MGen. Jose Eriel Niembra, the 10th Infantry Division commander, served as guest of honor and speaker.
Dabawenyo war veterans and their families were also present and honored during the celebration.
On Sunday, April 9, Niembra participated in the wreath-laying activity to commemorate the 81st Araw ng Kagitingan and Philippine Veterans Week held at Carmen Veterans Shrine, Barangay Ising, Carmen, Davao Del Norte.
During the ceremony, Carmen’s local government recognized the existing World War II and Post War Veterans.
In his speech, Niembra recounted the bravery of Filipino soldiers against the Japanese occupation forces during the Battle of Ising from 1942-1945, eventually leading to the liberation of Davaoeños from Japanese Military control during World War II.
“When we say heroism, it is putting one’s life for a higher purpose. Heroism is not only limited to those who wear the uniform, but many people are heroes on their own rights,” Niembra said.
- P14-M worth of prizes up for grabs in the 14th Eaglemasters Golf Tourney
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Women leaders oppose DSWD’s “discriminatory” policies
- TIMESMAN | My last wish!
- IMPULSES | Coffee, choco love affair in Iloilo City
- Solar farm project to attract tourists
- Alleged IP rebel leader slain in Army encounter in Bohol
- Second batch of rice retailers to receive subsidies next week
- Fatal motorbike crash claims two young lives
- P500-K of shabu seized from father, son, nephew