The Davao City Police Office (DCPO) has reported that Palm Sunday was peaceful in the city with the deployment of police personnel to 46 Catholic churches.
According to Major Catherine Dela Rey, the DCPO spokesperson, around 800 security personnel were assigned to ensure the safety and security of Catholic devotees during the Holy Week.
Dela Rey also emphasized that the police assistance desks were placed in churches to help those in need of police assistance.
She further added that the no backpack policy was still being implemented before entering the premises.
“Palm Sunday was generally peaceful as PNP personnel were deployed in 46 churches in the city. More or less 800 security personnel were detailed in the said churches to ensure the safety and security of the Catholic devotees during the Holy Week,” Dela Rey said in an interview.
Catholic devotees gathered in churches on Sunday to have their palm branches blessed in commemoration of Palm Sunday, which marks the beginning of Holy Week leading to Easter Sunday on April 9.
While the peaceful observance was ensured, the police urged individuals to remain vigilant and report any suspicious character or unattended bags, packages, or objects that are out of place immediately. With the continued deployment of security personnel, the DCPO hopes to ensure a peaceful and safe observance of Holy Week in the city.
- BANGSAMORO SPEAKS | Our instrument for change is already in our hands
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Davao takes Pink October seriously
- TYBOX | Finding identity and integrity as artists
- IMPULSES | Let’s play with PhET in class
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- DA information caravan draws 654 farmers, producers
- P10.3-M granted to uniformed personnel in Reg-XI through CSBP
- Former government employee found dead with 44 stab wounds
- Alleged drug dealer slain in buy-bust
- Show cause order