fbpx Press "Enter" to skip to content

DavaoOr is free of insurgents, say

THE Davao Oriental Provincial Peace and Order Council has declared the province Insurgency-free again during a meeting held at Honey’s Hotel, Mati City on Monday.

Gov. Corazon Malanyaon said the move will help the province’s economy as it has been promoted as an area for tourists. 

“We have what it takes to be a premier tourist destination, and Davao Oriental is worth visiting. But we also have to consider that the tourism industry is too sensitive to peace and order,” Malanyaon said.

In response Major General Nolasco Mempin, 10th Infantry Division commander, expressed his appreciation for the support of the provincial government and the actions of the 701st Infantry Brigade in defeating the insurgency in the province.

“We are now witnessing history. All of our provinces here in Davao Region were declared insurgency-free. Now, I urge everyone to continue our efforts and not rest on our laurels. We will continue to push further towards the attainment of sustainable development in the whole Region,” Mempin added.

The council approved the move after the military reported that the units of the New People’s Army in the province were dismantled.

In a report presented by Brigadier Gen Oliver C Maquiling, brigade commander, said the campaign to rid the province of the armed group was a result of the cooperation among government agencies and other groups in implementing peace and development programs.

Last week, a mayor of the town in the province declared a two-day suspension of classes following the encounter between the soldiers and members of the armed group. The military reported that of the seven members of the armed groups, five of them were killed

 

Share this post:

Powered By ICTC/DRS
WP Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

Instagram