BY CHERM MEJORADA – A window is an opening in the wall where you can see the interior and exterior of a structure. In a poetic perspective, it is where you can take a glimpse of both worlds. It is not surprising why it’s the inspiration behind the name of Bintana Art Gallery.
The Bintana Art Gallery is an art haven in the heart of Davao. It is owned and managed by spouses Alex and Isabelina Alagon. This is a perfect place to appreciate art from different points of view. You will encounter the exquisiteness of unity in diversity from young to senior artists in the city.
I was given the opportunity to have a conversation with Mr. Alex Alagon. He shared that he was a banker, an elected public official, and a media personality before he embarked in the field of arts. Although he discovered his passion for drawing a long time ago during his childhood, it was only in 2013 when he finally decided to pursue his personal journey as a full-time artist after hearing Myles Munroe’s message about understanding your purpose in life. It was an enormous epiphany for Mr. Alagon because it made him realize that many people die without discovering their true purpose, and he didn’t want to be one of them.
“What struck me the most was when Myles Munroe said that the richest place in the world is the cemetery,” he explained. “Because it is a place filled with the dead who left with untapped dreams, unwritten books, and unfinished beginnings.”
Fast forward to 2018 – Mr. & Mrs. Alagon opened the Bintana Art Gallery at NCCC Victoria Mall, Davao City. It’s quite amusing to think that in their effort to open a window, they actually opened a whole new door of opportunities to Davao artists.
The artists of Bintana Art Gallery have been joining and facilitating art exhibitions since 2016. They are currently displaying a variety of artworks at La Herencia Davao as one of the thirteen (13) participating artist groups in Davao Art Festival organized by Dabawenyo Artists Federation, Inc. (DAFI).
- Maya named digital bank of the year at the int’l Future Digital Awards
- City investigating committee reconstituted
- Simulation exercise set soon in preparation for Pasko Fiesta
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- EGALITARIAN | Mindanao Futures Thinking
- HONORING MY MOTHER | The incoming waves
- The Rise of Trading in Southeast Asia
- GCash joins hands with BSP, DILG on Paleng-QR Ph rollout
- Spotify Expands Video Podcasting Feature to all Filipino Creators
- CULTURAL POTPOURRI | The Bangayans’ Samgyupsalamat