A HIGH-RANKING leader of the New People’s Army (NPA) and two guerilla fighters were killed in an encounter with troops of the 1001st Infantry Brigade in Barangay Tupaz, Maragusan, Davao de Oro, on Sunday, March 27.
Brig. Gen. Jesus Durante III, the 1001st brigade commander, identified the slain rebels as Ezequil Cortez Daguman, a member of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) Central Committee and deputy secretary of Regional Operations Command, Southern Mindanao Regional Committee, Ruel Baylon, and Quirino Remegio.
In a press briefing on Monday at its headquarters in Maco, Davao de Oro, Durante said the soldiers also recovered seven high-powered firearms, an improvised explosive device, various types of ammunition, medical paraphernalia, and personal belongings owned by the communist rebels.
He said that the death of Daguman is a big blow not only to SMRC but to the CPP as a whole.
“He is one of the special operators of SMRC and is responsible for the extortion activities among businessmen and politicians,” he added.
According to the military, Daguman has existing arrest warrants for kidnapping, serious illegal detention, double murder, robbery with violence, and murder.
He added that this is another significant accomplishment in the implementation and operationalization of President Rodrigo Duterte’s Executive Order (EO) 70. Moreover, he called on the remaining members of the communist rebels to surrender to the government and avail the benefits of the Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program.
- ROUGH CUTS| One lesson that must be learned
- Probe into ‘abductions’
- CSC XI urges more applicants for the August 2023 CS Exam
- National Academy of Sports now accepting scholarship applicants
- DCPO asks for responsible social media use to avoid creating panic
- Power disruptions on June 4, 5, and 6 in different parts of Davao City
- SM wins ICSC MAXI Awards 2023
- Fatal association
- Over 19,000 child laborers rescued
- Davao Culinary Cup returns after hiatus