THE military reported that a soldier was killed while a member of the paramilitary unit was injured when members of the New People’s Army (NPA) ambushed them as they were traveling on motorcycle along the Puting Bato Road on their way to their base in Sitio Lusong in Cabdbaran City Monday.
Based on the report, Staff Seargent Darryl Jay A Rivera, assistant patrol base commander, died while his companion, John B Odon, was injured. They were assigned to the Lusong Patrol Base in Brgy Puting Bato, Cabadbaran City, a unit under the 29th Infantry Battalion.
Major Francisco Garello Jr., 4th Infantry Division Public Affairs Office chief, said the two were part of the team that was conducting a coordination meeting for the implementation of livelihood projects in the area for former rebels. They were returning to their base when the incident happened.
Garello said Rivera, who was recognized for his bravery in an encounter in Zapanta Valley, sustained several gunshot wounds while his companion was just slightly wounded and was able to escape.
The division said in a statement that the sacrifice made by the slain soldier “will not be put in vain and we will not stop until the perpetrators are brought to justice. ” the statement said.
- ROUGH CUTS | Run that nuclear power plant
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – MAY 25, 2022
- DTI 11 urges consumers to help in monitoring new SRPs
- SCENE CITY | Pidoks blesses fourth branch
- WANDERLUST | DA, NCCA, DOT lead Filipino Food Month celebration
- Next admin told | Build Samal bridge to improve DavNor power
- Tagum City sets record for most biodiverse observations
- CCCs offer free swabbing, teleconsultation services
- ‘Multi-layered security plan’ readied for Sara’s oathtaking
- City still enjoys low rates for COVID, 2 weeks after polls