THE CITY government has feared another surge in COVID-19 cases due to activities during the Yuletide season.
On Monday, Mayor Sara Duterte expressed fear that private gatherings, including those taking place in homes, might trigger another surge in cases even when vaccination rate has been high.
“Expected nato sa COVID-19 Task Force, mahitabo napud na usab karon especially nakita sa mga tao nga mubo atong cases, daghan mga private gatherings nga mahitabo,” she said during her regular radio program.
She said she based her prediction from that of the health cluster of the COVID-19 Task Force, although she added that it would be hard to speculate on how massive the surge would be.
She said the group expected gatherings as the cause of the surge like in the past, although a health expert told her that the vaccine against the virus will just make the symptoms mild.
“Ang delikado lang is that daghan ang mild o asymptomatic unya naa silay mahagip or maagian na kaning mga unvaccinated o dunay comorbidity o high risk na mga unvaccinated or kaning mga vaccinated na duna nay sakit daan who are vulnerable as well to succumb to COVID-19 complications,” she added.
This as she reported that the city has vaccinated about 94.3% of the targeted 1.226 million population to achieve herd immunity. Of these vaccinated. About 1.111 million were fully vaccinated.
She went on to urge the residents to continue following protocols and minimum health standards, including the wearing of masks especially in public places.
“Dako kaayo og matabang ang public nga ma-lessen or ma-reduce ang kadako sa surge and that is by not taking off your mask anywhere. I suggest wearing your mask dinha pud sa sulod sa inyong household,” she added.
She added the people might be complacent because the number of cases everyday has continued to go down.
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Hard as can be
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Free HIV testing and treatment still available at Davao’s RHWC
- Bakunahang Bayan launched at Tomas Claudio Health Center
- BOC-Davao continues Sasa Port modernization
- SEC Davao warns public vs. APower, OTCJKE
- Honorary Muslim Princess pursues Maranao museum
- PREACHING PaTIENCE | Endure Christmas gridlock a little longer – Mayor Duterte
- 2 suspects killed in shootout with police
- HEALTH OFFICIAL SAYS: Report personnel asking for VaxCert certificate payment