HALLOWEEN is just around the corner and for many kids and some fun-loving adults, this can only mean one thing: candy eating.
Dental health immediately becomes a concern for some parents but they will have less to worry about when they have control of how things go during trick or treat activities at home or in their neighborhood.
Here’s a lowdown of your teeth and candies according to American Dental Association dentist Dr. Ana Paula Ferraz-Dougherty: “The bacteria in your mouth are probably more excited to eat Halloween candy than you are. When the bacteria eat the sugar and leftover food in your mouth, a weak acid is produced. That acid is what can contribute to cavities.”
But this shouldn’t spoil the fun.
“It’s OK to eat that candy on Halloween as a splurge as long as you’re brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and cleaning between your teeth each day, all year long,” Dr. Ana said.
It is also important to note that some candies are better than others.
It is best to choose candy that melts and disappears quickly because the longer teeth are exposed to sugar, the longer bacteria can feed on it. And that causes damage to teeth due to the cavity-causing acid.
The best way to enjoy candy during Halloween? Eat candy in small portions and on a certain schedule–like after a meal, as a dessert.
Sugar-free candy and gum with xylitol are the best options out there. This type of candy does the least harm for teeth because its ingredients reduce acid produced by bacteria.
Powdery candy is an okay bet for Halloween too because it dissolves quickly and doesn’t stick to the teeth.
Chocolate also quickly dissolves in the mouth and this lessens the amount of time sugar stays in contact with teeth. A chocolate bar is a quick but satisfying treat–it has antioxidants and some calcium.
With lots of care, Halloween can still be fun and enjoyable at home or in the outdoors of your neighborhood.
Shop your candies in The SM Store via the Call to Deliver hotline #143SM. There are also a range of options in the SM Supermarket via smmarkets.ph. Do you have a quick trip to the mall? Visit Candy Corner in SM Lanang Premier and SM City Davao.
- MG Mall Of Asia joins MG Philippines’ Nationwide Dealership Network, and is the first MG Dealership to feature a unique MG “Carffé” Coffee Shop
- EGALITARIAN | Catching up with our neighbors
- CHEMICAL SPILL | Public warned vs. water activities at Davao River until declared safe
- Kadayawan 3D light show at City Hall starts on Aug. 5
- Ex-DA chief Piñol calls for NFA revival to promote PH banana
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Family album
- ROUGH CUTS | Our hat off the CHO
- SEC cancels Flying Bear’s lending license, registration
- City readies aid to quake victims
- LGU, DOH link to enhance campaign on family planning