OUTGOING Secretary Emmanuel Pinol of the Mindanao Development Authority resigned from his post effective October 5 to run for a Senate seat even as he questioned Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi on why his name was not included in the slate of the administration.
In a Facebook post, Pinol said he cannot turn his back on President Rodrigo Duterte as the two of them have become friends and have gone a long way. “In the resignation letter I sent the President last week, I assured him that our friendship will remain steadfast and will never be affected by politics,” he said.
“Mahaba ang aming pinagsamahan simula pa noong Gobernador ako ng Cotabato at mayor sya ng Davao City,” he said, adding that although there were laws that the President signed that he opposed, Mr. Duterte knew his stand.
He cited the case of the Rice Tariffication Law which he opposed, adding that it was because his belief was that the law would put rice farmers at the losing end.
On why he is not running under the administration ticket, Pinol said the question should be asked of Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi, leader of the faction of the Partido Demokratiko ng Pilipinas-Lakas ng Bayan.
“Simula’t-simula ay hindi man lang nila (Cusi’s group) isinama ang ngalan ko sa listahan samantalang nababasa naman nila sa social media na merong kilusan ang mga batang magsasasaka na pinangungunahan ni Gabriel Hebron Francisco ng Zambales na humihimok sa akin na tumakbo bilang Senador,” he added.
He said he decided to join his old party, the Nationalist People’s Coalition, after his discussion with members of his family and supporters. He said the standard bearers of the party are Senator Panfilo Lacson and Senate President Vicente Sotto III.
When the President announced he was retiring from politics instead of running for vice president. Pinol said: “Lumuwag ang dibdib ko.”
Managing Editor at Mindanao Times
- ROUGH CUTS | Run that nuclear power plant
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – MAY 25, 2022
- DTI 11 urges consumers to help in monitoring new SRPs
- SCENE CITY | Pidoks blesses fourth branch
- WANDERLUST | DA, NCCA, DOT lead Filipino Food Month celebration
- Next admin told | Build Samal bridge to improve DavNor power
- Tagum City sets record for most biodiverse observations
- CCCs offer free swabbing, teleconsultation services
- ‘Multi-layered security plan’ readied for Sara’s oathtaking
- City still enjoys low rates for COVID, 2 weeks after polls