Filipina chessers, led by newly-minted Woman National Master (WNM) Ruelle “Tawing” Canino of Cagayan de Oro City , came up short and settled for a silver in the 14-under girls’ team event of the three-day Eastern Asia Youth 2021 that concluded on Sunday, September 26 with the powerhouse Vietnam winning all the marbles.
The 13-year-old Canino, who already contributed at least 15 gold medals to the country’s cause from the international chess level, did not win the individual gold this time around.
But to her consolation, Canino – who dropped to sixth-place overall behind all Vietnam rivals that occupied first to fifth spots – did not lose to any of them who swept the team and individual golds with Ngoc Tuong Minh Thai (8 pts), Binh Vy Nguyen (7) and Woman Candidate Master (WCM) Le Cam Hien Nguyen (7) leading the charge for a total of 22 team points.
Canino (6.5) and her compatriots Kate Nicole Ordizo (6) and Angel Nheazy Nicole Po (4.5) amassed 17 points for the silver.
Mongolia’s WCM Batsaikhan Enkhsaran (6), Khuslenzaya Baldanjantsan (5.5) and Erdenejargal Undarmaa (5) logged in an aggregate 16.5 points to get the bronze in the 30-country rivalry hosted by fourth-running Thailand (14.5 pts) via online format.
The multi-titled Canino, an incoming junior freshman at Manila’s Far Eastern University (FEU) through its scholarship sports program, scored 4 wins, 2 losses and one draw in missing the individual medal circle.
“She survived against all Vietnamese rivals but lost to a Thailander and to her own Filipina teammate. But the good thing is Tawing could still compete in the 14-under bracket next year. She’s only 13 years old,” her trainer Jaime Joshua Frias II said.
“Top 6 is not bad. But it means more serious training to prepare our little Tawing for the next battle ahead,” said her father Ruel.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success