MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte has approved the pilot implementation of face-to-face classes in areas classified with “minimal risk” for the coronavirus.
In a televised public briefing, Education Secretary Leonor Briones said the in-person classes, expected to begin in two months, should pass the Department of Education’s safety assessment qualifications.
“Local governments must allow it because they will host the face-to-face classes. There also must be written consent from the parents that they will allow their children to join the pilot classes,” Briones said.
Only about 100 public schools nationwide located in minimal risk areas and a limited number of learners would be allowed to participate.
“So we could see how it works, and then we add 20 private schools that they submit plans for this,” Briones said.
Briones said for kindergarten, only 12 learners will participate and 16 learners for Grades 1 to 3.
Those attending technical or vocational classes in five senior high schools would be limited to 20 learners.
The department is yet to release the list of schools for the pilot implementation.
At the start of the pandemic last year, schools and learners adopted remote learning, changing the way students are educated. (PNA)
- ROUGH CUTS | Run that nuclear power plant
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – MAY 25, 2022
- DTI 11 urges consumers to help in monitoring new SRPs
- SCENE CITY | Pidoks blesses fourth branch
- WANDERLUST | DA, NCCA, DOT lead Filipino Food Month celebration
- Next admin told | Build Samal bridge to improve DavNor power
- Tagum City sets record for most biodiverse observations
- CCCs offer free swabbing, teleconsultation services
- ‘Multi-layered security plan’ readied for Sara’s oathtaking
- City still enjoys low rates for COVID, 2 weeks after polls