Former secretary-general of Pilipinas Sambo Paolo Tancontian takes the helm as its new president after being elected Saturday, August 21.
The former judo National Team mainstay served as the Secretary-General of Pilipinas Sambo since it was formally recognized by the Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) in 2018.
“I am very grateful for this opportunity. Excited kami sa mga projects although there are hindrances kasi pandemic,” said the Davao-based Tancontian who founded Pilipinas Sambo in 2015.
Tancontian’s primary focus is to produce world class Sambo athletes who would represent the country in various international competitions.
In his brief stint as Pilipinas Sambo’s secretary-general, Tancontian headed the working committee in hosting the sport in the 2019 Southeast Asian Games in Manila wherein the country hauled two gold medals, one silver and a lone bronze.
Tancontian is supported by Olympian Benjamin Michael McMurray and Marco Antonio Tamayo, who were elected as the first and second vice president. His wife Janet Sy was elected as the new secretary-general while Nicanor John Reyes will served as the treasurer.
Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles, meanwhile, remains the Sambo Pilipinas Chairman.
Sambo which is a combat sport originated from Russia was used by MMA and UFC fighters Fedo Emelianenko and Khabib Nurmagomedov, respectively.
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Hard as can be
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Free HIV testing and treatment still available at Davao’s RHWC
- Bakunahang Bayan launched at Tomas Claudio Health Center
- BOC-Davao continues Sasa Port modernization
- SEC Davao warns public vs. APower, OTCJKE
- Honorary Muslim Princess pursues Maranao museum
- PREACHING PaTIENCE | Endure Christmas gridlock a little longer – Mayor Duterte
- 2 suspects killed in shootout with police
- HEALTH OFFICIAL SAYS: Report personnel asking for VaxCert certificate payment