DAVAO CITY (MindaNews) — The city government here aims to vaccinate at least 15,000 residents daily from the average of 10,000 daily to reach achieve population protection before the year ends.
Davao City accounts for the highest number of cases among Mindanao’s 27 provinces and 33 cities. It also has the highest population as of the 2020 census, at 1,776,949.
As of August 17, a total of 303,282 have been fully vaccinated. This represents 17.1% of the city’s population. The city government is targeting to vaccinate 1.2 million residents to achieve herd immunity. The fully vaccinated residents account for 25.3% while 465,391 residents received their first dose.
Dr. Michelle Schlosser, focal person for Davao City COVID-19 Task Force, told Davao City Disaster Radio (DCDR 87.5) that Mayor Sara Duterte is aiming to ramp up the vaccination drive, targeting to inoculate at least 15,000 individuals daily from the average of 10,000 daily.
She added that the mobile vaccination rollout initiated by the councilors would help attain the target, as they can bring immunization programs to the members of the priority list A2 or senior citizens and A3 or persons with comorbidities.
“Instead of them going to the vaccine sites, the councilors will bring the vaccines to their communities,” she said.
DOH-Davao reported 749 new cases of COVID-19 in the region on Friday, bringing total cases to 62,248, with 8,596 active cases, 51,637 recoveries, and 2,015 deaths. Of this total, Davao City logged 34,333, Davao de Oro with 4,545, Davao del Norte with 11,543, Davao del Sur with 5,664, Davao Occidental with 1,639, and Davao Oriental with 4,524. (Antonio L. Colina IV / MindaNews)
- Maya named digital bank of the year at the int’l Future Digital Awards
- City investigating committee reconstituted
- Simulation exercise set soon in preparation for Pasko Fiesta
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- EGALITARIAN | Mindanao Futures Thinking
- HONORING MY MOTHER | The incoming waves
- The Rise of Trading in Southeast Asia
- GCash joins hands with BSP, DILG on Paleng-QR Ph rollout
- Spotify Expands Video Podcasting Feature to all Filipino Creators
- CULTURAL POTPOURRI | The Bangayans’ Samgyupsalamat