SWIMMER Ernie Gawilan vowed to do his best in the coming 2020 Tokyo Paralympics, along with team Philippines which is all set for their medal campaign this August 24 to September 5.
“Gagawin ko lahat ng makakaya. Pangarap ko at mga kasama ko maka-uwi ng medalya,” said the Paquibato District native on last Tuesday’s Philippine Sportswriters Association (PSA) Forum online version.
Gawilan’s motivation came out strong after being inspired by podium performances of Hidilyn Diaz, Nesthy Petecio, Eumir Marcial and Carlo Paalam who made historic medal runs in the recent 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Gawilan who is now on his 11th year as part of the Philippine Paralympics swimming team eyes a medal finish when he is to compete in the 100m backstroke and 400m freestyle.
It will be the second straight Paralympics for Gawilan, who also took part in the 2016 Games in in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He formalized his entry in the Tokyo Paralympics after seeing action in the World Para Swimming World Series in Berlin, Germany where he also bagged a bronze medal.
Making it sweeter for Gawilan, he will carry the Philippine flag in the closing ceremony while Paralympic teammate Jerrold Mangliwan will be the flag-bearer for the opening rites.
Aside from Gawilan, members of the Philippine delegation to the Tokyo Paralympics including Chef de Mission Francis Diaz and Allain Ganapin also served as guests in the weekly session presented by San Miguel Corporation (SMC), MILO® Philippines, Amelie Hotel Manila, Braska Restaurant, and the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR).
- `Crime of passion’ | Durante, 9 others tagged in Yvonette Plaza murder
- Rain causes landslide in Malabog
- ROUGH CUTS | Too much love involved here
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- 100,000 health cards seen to be released this year, say
- HIGHER RATE | Dabawenyos to pay 20% more for water
- PH to send 14 athletes to Asian Lawn Bowls Championships
- Oil prices up for second straight week
- Barangays told: Set up your reading centers
- SOLDIER MURDERED | Unknown killers shoot soldier dead